In association with

Maharashtra: Radio blast injures four family members

Aurangabad: A family of four was injured when a transistor exploded in Maharashtra's Beed district. Maharashtra police informed that four members of a family, including a minor boy, were seriously injured when a radio set exploded at their residence in Koregaon village of Kaij tehsil of Beed district, near Aurangabad on Friday.

Bus conductor A R Nimbalkar(35), his wife Usha(30), mother Kusum(53) and the two-year old son Kunal were grievously injured in the blast.

The incident took place after Nimbalkar, while on duty, noticed an unclaimed radio set and took it home. He took the radio home and came to know that it wasn’t working.

Image used for representational purpose only.

In an attempt to make it work, he tampered with the batteries. That was when it exploded.

Police revealed that the sound of the explosion could be heard three kilometres afar, thus throwing light on the intensity of the blast.

The injured have been admitted to Swami Ramanand Teerth (SRT) hospital in the town, informed the police sources. Dr. Rakesh Jadhav,who is attending the injured revealed that the handler of the radio, Nimbalkar was in a critical state. Jadhav also said that the eyes of the injured were critically wounded.

Meanwhile, forensic experts and sniffer dogs reached the explosion site.

Senior police officials including the IG and SP also reached the spot to take stock of the situation.

Maharashtra Home minister RR Patil has issued a notification ‘to remain alert.’


Published Date: Dec 01, 2012 09:13 AM | Updated Date: Dec 01, 2012 10:41 AM

Also See