KFC unit in Kerala shut after live worms found in chicken

A branch of fast food chain Kentucky's Fried Chicken (KFC) in Thiruvananthapuram was inspected by government officials after the outlet was found serving food with worms in it.

Following a complaint by a family, Food Safety Authority officials conducted an inspection and found that the outlet hadn't adhered to sanitation guidelines.

"We came here after we received a complaint. We were told that worms were found in the chicken by the customer who informed us. When we inspected the place, we found worms in the fried chicken," Thiruvananthapuram district officer, Food Safety Authority, Sivakumar said.

Authorities examining KFC chicken in Thiruvananthapuram. Screen grab from CNN IBN

Some of the chicken seized by authorities was five months old, according to a CNN-IBN report.

The outlet has been shut for now and officials are now inspecting other outlets of the fast food chain to ensure they are sticking to the prescribed norms.

The inspection of KFC outlets comes months after the Kerala government went into overdrive against food outlets serving shawarmas in July.

On 10 July, 21-year-old Sachin Mathew, a hotel management graduate, died after consuming shawarmas from a restaurant in Thiruvanathapuram. The cause of death was ascertained to be due to food poisoning.

Published Date: Oct 09, 2012 12:10 PM | Updated Date: Oct 09, 2012 12:20 PM

Also See