Guwahati: A judicial inquiry will be held to probe the Bodo-minority violence in lower Assam even as CBI has taken up seven cases related to the clashes that have claimed 77 lives so far.
"We have decided on a judicial inquiry. This will be done at a much larger scale and cover the entire gamut of issues, including lapses by administration and recommendations for preventing such incidents in future," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters here on Saturday.
His announcement came a few hours after the state police said CBI will investigate seven cases related to the violence, which started on July 19-20 and have displaced over four lakh people. However, the details of the judicial inquiry was not divulged.
Gogoi said no fresh incidents have been reported from any place since the past 24 hours.
"We have formed peace committees in the violence hit areas to ensure that confidence return to the people," he said adding and an all party meeting would be organised soon to coordinate relief and rehabilitation work.
The chief minister said 1.6 lakh people displaced in the conflict have returned to their homes from refugee camps.
"We have already closed down 101 camps. Our effort is to send back the rest of the camp inmates back to their respective homes."
Gogoi denied allegations by some parties that formation of the Bodoland Territorial Council(BTC) had led to mistrust and enmity among Bodos and non-Bodos in the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD).
"There were more violent clashes and more deaths before BTAD was formed," he said.
Published Date: Aug 11, 2012 18:31 PM | Updated Date: Aug 11, 2012 18:45 PM