Even as a bunch of lawyers run amok at the Patiala House Court in New Delhi on Wednesday for the second mercilessly attacking journalists who went to cover the hearing of the sedition case against Jawaharlal Nehru University Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar, there are others of the same profession who form key part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Council of Ministers.
"One-third of the Union Council of Ministers are law degree holders while two are doctors and nine graduates in various other streams."—said a report in the The Indian Express.
The following is the list of ministers in the Central government who either possess a degree in law or are practitioners of law:
1. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj
2. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley
3. Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu
4. Road Transport and Highways and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari
5. Law and Justice Minister DV Sadanand Gowda
6. Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Minister Ramvilas Paswan
7. Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Ananthkumar
8. Communications and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad
Ministers of State (Independent Charge)
1. Textiles Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar
2. Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
3. Minister for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal
4. Minister for Planning and Defence Rao Inderjit Singh
Ministers of State
1. Home Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju
2. Social Justice & Empowerment Minister Krishan Pal
3. Ministers Road Transport and Highways Shipping Radhakrishnan P
Two days ago, the same group of lawyers allegedly had beaten up journalists and students of the JNU while attending the first hearing of the Kanhaiya Kumar case.
On Tuesday, journalists from all the three steams of electronic, print and digital had gathered at the Press Club of India and carried out a protest march to the Supreme Court protesting against the violent behaviour against media personnel who were on the duty and the apparent inaction by the Delhi Police.
That clearly had no effect!
It is now high time these guardians of the nation take some time off from their current portfolios, remember they are all law graduates and force some rationale into this unruly mob of hooligans who jump into fisticuffs in seconds, beating up innocents and imprinting an indelible stain on the black coat.
Please lawyers-cum-ministers, hammer into this unrestrained bunch of hotheads, that the country needs some: 'Order, order!'
Published Date: Feb 17, 2016 15:28 PM | Updated Date: Feb 17, 2016 15:42 PM