New Delhi: IIT Bombay today gave its nod to the common entrance for admission to the undergraduate programme from 2013 under a format which will admit students having top 20 percentile of their respective boards.
The senate approved the IIT council's resolution regarding admission to the IITs based only on rank achieved in advance test subject to condition that selected candidates are in the top 20 percentile of successful list of their boards.
IIT council, at its crucial meeting here on June 27, had adopted a resolution in this regard as part of a compromise formula, bringing an end to a deadlock between the government and the IITs which had been opposing giving weightages to board results.
"IIT Bombay senate has accepted the resolution," said president of All India IIT Faculty Federation K Narasimhan.
However, he said that instead of allowing 1.50 lakh candidates to sit in the advance test, they have sought to restrict the figure to about 50,000 students.
As National Institute of Technology (NITs) have decided to adopt the original formula under the common test albeit with some minor tweaking, IIT Bombay senate felt there was no need to keep the figure at 1.50 lakh, he said.
IIT Kanpur is also expected to meet later this week to examine the IIT council resolution amid indications that it is in favour of adopting the council resolution.
The resolution is to be vetted by other IITs too before the Joint Admission Board gives its final seal of approval to the format.