New Delhi: In the aftermath of the Pathankot terror attack, Indian Air Force plans to raise 10 additional squadrons of Garud commandos, consisting of about 700 personnel, to protect its 950 flying and non-flying establishments across the country.
The Force also plans to expedite its planned fortification of 54 main flying bases across the country with better sensors and electrical fencing.
The decisions were taken after the IAF completed security audit of its establishment in the aftermath of the Pathankot terror attack.
Defence sources said the IAF which has about 1,080 Garud commandos at present, will seek permission to raise 10 more squadrons.
When the Garud force was first formed in 2003, the plan was to have about 2,000 personnel.
The sources also said the setting up of electric fences with better sensors will be speeded up.
Electric fences have already been set up at bases in northern areas and as per the plan earlier, Pathankot air base
would have been the first in the western sector to get it, sources said.
Top sources in the IAF had said the audit, ordered after the Pathankot airbase attack last month, has identified chinks in the security and measures would be taken to plug them.
Asked if Defence Security Corps, made up of retired soldiers, would be replaced with other security personnel, the
sources said Garud commandos are already present at its facilities and, if needed, more will be added.
Published Date: Feb 02, 2016 22:29 PM | Updated Date: Feb 02, 2016 22:29 PM