HC dissatisfied with probe in Dabholkar, Pansare murder cases, seeks progress report

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday expressed dissatisfaction over slow progress of investigations into the murder cases of rationalist Narendra Dabholkar and activist Govind Pansare.

Narendra Dabholkar. File photo. PTI

Narendra Dabholkar. File photo. PTI

A division bench, headed by Justice S C Dharmadhikari, after perusing the probe reports submitted by CBI probing the Dabholkar case, and the state CID which is investigating the Pansare case, said the investigations were not satisfactory.

The bench directed both the agencies to continue their probe and sought progress reports on 23 June.

"We hope that at least now the agencies will show real and concrete progress in the probe," the high court said.

"We expect the agencies to show promptness while investigating such cases. Both are premier agencies and should demonstrate vigilance. If you (CBI and CID) are facing any difficulties or any direct or indirect obstacles, then be candid and say so," the court said.

The high court also suggested both the agencies get in touch with the victims' families as they might have some valuable information and also the police officers who were first probing the cases before they were transferred to independent agencies.

Public prosecutor Sandeep Shinde, appearing for CID, told the HC that it has already filed chargesheet against the lone arrested accused Sameer Gaikwad in the Pansare case.

Dabholkar was killed in August 2013.

Pansare was shot at on 16 February last year. He succumbed to his wounds four days later on 20 February.
CBI and CID have been submitting periodical progress reports to HC.

Earlier, CBI had told the high court that it was probing the role of right wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha in the murder of Dabholkar.


Published Date: May 03, 2016 05:59 pm | Updated Date: May 03, 2016 05:59 pm


Also See