The Delhi Police on Friday foiled a terror attempt on the national capital with the arrest of a suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist from Gorakhpur. The raid also uncovered an AK47 and several hand grenades.
The suspected terrorist, Liaqat Shah, hails from Sopore in Jammu and Kashmir is wanted in several terror cases in the state. CNN-IBN reported that Shah had visited Pakistan several times and was arrested from Gorakhpur on his way from Nepal.
The channel further added that he was targeting busy market places during Holi.
Police are on the lookout for more of his aides.
Here is all you need to know about the terror group Hizbul Mujahideen:
* Hizbul Mujahideen was founded in September 1989 by Muhammad Ahsan Dar, a school teacher from Pattan Baramulla, in Jammu and Kashmir and is headquartered at Muzaffarabad in Pakistan occupied Kashmir.
* The terror group is headed by Syed Salahuddin, who is the chairman of United Jihad Council and Supreme Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen.
* The group has been banned by the government of India under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967. It is also one of the 32 outfits proscribed under the Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002.
* According to their website, the main purpose of the organisation is to resolve the Jammu Kashmir dispute according to the wishes and aspirations of the people who live there
* Information on the South Asia Terrorism Portal says the organisation has its own news agency, Kashmir Press International, and a women's wing, Banat-ul-Islam.
* For a list of all the terror incidents and statements involvinf the Hizbul Mujahideen, click here.
Below is an excerpt from their website:
Hizb-ul-Mujahideen is an indigenous, homegrown organization which came into existence in 1989 as an armed resistance movement to remain at the back of the political movement for the attainment of right of self-determination promised to the people of Jammu and Kashmir by the international community, India and Pakistan in un resolutions. You can read more here.
For a detailed list of the attacks carried out by the organisation since its inception, click here.
First Published On : Mar 23, 2013 08:21 IST