The Hyderabad Police Commissioner today said that the police force had received a government circular on 15 February about an imminent terror attack, and the police did everything it could to prevent any act of terrorism.
"I know no amount of explanation will suffice, but we did everything we could to prevent any act of terrorism. It was a dastardly act and we will bring the culprits to book," Anurag Sharma said at a press conference in Hyderabad.
Refusing to give out specific details about the investigations he said, "We cannot jump to any conclusion unless investigations are over. We have requested the chief minister to announce a reward of Rs 10 lakh for whosoever can give information about the culprits."
"We had deployed additional forces after the alert. Our bomb disposal squads carried out more than 400 checks in specific sensitive areas. We also had regular patrolling by police forces," he said.
He said that in the month of February alone the Hyderabad city police had carried out more than 1,200 vehicle checks to ensure that people do not move around with banned explosive substances and added that Hyderabad police had questioned Indian Mujahideen operatives in October 2012.
Dismissing speculations about tampering with the CCTV camera in Dilsukhnagar, he said, "The CCTV camera at Dilsukhnagar was waorking till 8.30 pm and we are reviewing the footage from it for information."
He said that Special Investigative teams had been given the case and evidences have also been collected.
He said that as precautionary measures the city police has increased surveillance and deployment of forces.
Looking for clues to track down the perpetrators, Cyberabad and Hyderabad police have questioned some local youths but made it clear that nobody has been detained so far.
"Media reports that we have detained some persons are totally baseless. We only called some people for questioning, which is a normal investigating procedure," a top police official said.
Investigators said they were following some leads from CCTV footages, including of a man seen coming to the blast site on a bicycle with a bag. Mobile call records from the area at the time of the explosions were also being examined.
Sleuths of the National Investigation Agency have obtained details about persons lodged in the Chanchalguda jail here with suspected terror links and some of them were also questioned, informed sources said.
(with inputs from PTI)
First Published On : Feb 23, 2013 17:57 IST