Chennai: Unsafe 11 storey building in Moulivakkam to be demolished by TN govt - Firstpost
Firstpost
You are here:

Chennai: Unsafe 11 storey building in Moulivakkam to be demolished by TN govt

#Building collapse   #Chennai   #Moulivakkam   #NewsTracker  


By

Chennai: An eleven-storey block adjacent to an under-construction building that collapsed in 2014 killing 61 persons will be demolished on Wednesday using implosion technique and employing controlled blasting of explosives as the structure was unsafe, the Tamil Nadu government said on Tuesday.

On 28 June, 2014 one of the two blocks of an under construction residential building at suburban Moulivakkam collapsed killing 61 workers and injuring scores of people. The collapsed structure was also 11-storeyed.

Subsequently, the seined block too was declared unsafe by the authorities and the matter went to the Supreme Court which allowed it to be brought down after perusing an expert committee's report.

Representational image. AFP

Representational image. AFP

"Eleven storeyed building (Block B) in Moulivakkam, Kancheepuram District collapsed in 2014 and the adjacent building (Block A) is also found to be structurally unsafe," District Collector Kancheepuram, R Gajalakshmi said in a public notice issued on Tuesday.

She said an order for demolition of this unsafe structure had been issued under 141 Cr P C.

"Supreme Court by an order has directed the government to demolish this unsafe structure. In compliance with this order, it is proposed to demolish the building tomorrow between 2 and 4 pm," she said.

She said "implosion technique using controlled blasting of explosives will be deployed. All precautionary measures have been taken to ensure that no danger is caused to the people and adjoining constructions."

"As a measure of caution, however, residents living within 100 meter radius from the structure as marked by Revenue and Public Works departments are requested to move to a safer place."

Temporary accommodation has been made for residents at a nearby hall, she said, adding, after demolition the public could move to their houses. "The public are requested to cooperate in this regard."

Some time back, Ponlingam, Chief Executive of Maglink Infra Project Ltd, which bagged the contract to demolish the building had said that the building would be brought down in less than 10 seconds.

First Published On : Nov 2, 2016 15:58 IST

Comment using Disqus

Show Comments