Bengaluru shamed: Prevent such incidents, says envoy after police arrest 5 for assaulting Tanzanian girl - Firstpost
Firstpost
You are here:

Bengaluru shamed: Prevent such incidents, says envoy after police arrest 5 for assaulting Tanzanian girl


Reports on Thursday quoted Bengaluru police and said that five have been arrested for assaulting a Tanzanian woman, who was beaten and stripped in Bengaluru on Sunday. According to TV reports, police is questioning more suspects.

Earlier, police had launched a manhunt for suspects who allegedly assaulted the 20-year-old following a road accident, a top police official told PTI. "We have registered a case of riot and arson against the accused on victim's statement in which she reported of being assaulted in a mistaken identity by a mob on the outskirts of the city," city police commissioner N S Megharik told reporters in Bengaluru on Wednesday.

Denying reports in a section of media that the victim was also molested, Megharik said the African woman had admitted being only assaulted by a frenzied mob after her three male friends deserted her at Soladevanahalli where the car in which they were travelling was burnt.

Representational image. Reuters

Representational image. Reuters

"The incident occurred because the mob mistook the victim's car being involved in a road mishap on same night (31 January) when a 20-year-old drunken Sudanese national (Mohammed Ahad Ismai) ran over a woman fatally. We arrested him after he was rescued from a raging mob," Megharik said.

Police did not register a case soon after the road mishap and the mob attack, as the victim was not in the city for two days since Sunday.

"We have formed special teams to trap the culprits and render justice to the victim who declined to file complaint against the accused fearing attack again.

The victim's friends told police that on Sunday the furious mob had pulled them out of their car, assaulted them and molested her in which her clothes were torn.

John Kijazi, Tanzanian envoy to India, in an interview to Times Now, said, "We expect a thorough investigation into this incident. There should also be sensitisation programme to prevent such violence."

Meanwhile, the city-based Tanzanian youth association decided to seek its embassy's help in registering an assault case and booking the culprits.

Earlier on Wednesday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj described the attack as "shameful" and expressed deep pain over the Sunday incident on microblogging site Twitter.

"We are deeply pained over the shameful incident with a Tanzanian girl in Bengaluru. I spoke to the chief minister Karnataka. He informed me that a criminal case has been registered and four accused have been arrested," Sushma Swaraj tweeted.

The minister sought a report from the Karnataka government and asked Chief Minister Siddaramaiah to ensure safety of foreign students.

With inputs from IANS

First Published On : Feb 4, 2016 12:15 IST

Comment using Disqus

Show Comments