New Delhi: CBI has taken the voice samples of its sacked public prosecutor A K Singh and Managing Director of Unitech Sanjay Chandra for matching them with the audio tape purportedly carrying conversation between the two discussing ways to allegedly weaken the 2G case.
The probe agency has also constituted a special team of officials who will make an assessment of damage, if any, to the prosecution in the spectrum allocation case.
Sources said today investigations so far indicated that the CD was an apparent outcome of growing corporate rivalry in the Telecom sector and did not rule out some more tapes surfacing soon.
The tapes purportedly containing voice of Singh and Chandra had been sent for forensic examination, CBI officials said, adding the voice samples of the two had also been taken but would be handed over only after the examination of the tapes was completed.
According to sources, the tape had been recorded by someone who was present in a room along with Singh and Chandra when they are alleged to have been discussing the strategy in the case.
The sources said the agency would move in for cancellation of Chandra's bail only after getting a clearance from forensic department of the CFSL.
The CD containing the purported conversation has been sent to the Physics department of CFSL which has a very advanced version of computerized Voice Spectrograph used for analysis of Speaker Identification.
According to the CBI, the team of senior officials will go through the legal representations of the case in a retrospective manner in order to see if any wrongdoing on the part of any CBI official weakened the case of the agency.
The agency has also registered a Preliminary Enquiry (PE) after it received an "audio tape" from "undisclosed sources" on February 6, they said.
CBI sources also said that Singh was not the main Public Prosecutor of the agency and senior lawyer U U Lalit is the main prosecutor in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
During the probe, all aspects including of corporate rivalry, will be looked into, they said.
The sources said the purported tape would have been recorded in September-October last year as the subject matter of discussion on the tapes suggests the agency's legal strategy during that time.
The agency also expressed surprise over the timing of leakage of the tape as it comes just before the JPC was to meet on the 2G case and the forthcoming budget session of the Parliament.
The CBI has already registered a Preliminary Enquiry against Singh and Chandra after the agency received the CD. The agency, while taking note of the CD, immediately removed Singh from the case and the CBI Director Ranjit Sinha informed the Supreme Court as well as the Law Ministry about the decision.
Unitech had issued a statement last night rejecting the allegations saying Chandra has never met the prosecutor in the 2G case outside the court or had any phone conversation with him.
Unitech also denied that Chandra's voice was on any alleged recording and said it appeared a fabricated voice recording sent anonymously to CBI. "It is nothing but an attempt to malign him and prejudice his defence in the 2G case," the statement said.