New Delhi: A former telecom official told a special court on Tuesday that he did not depose falsely in the 2G case and claimed that he assisted the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the probe earlier.
Former department of telecommunications (DoT) official AK Srivastava told CBI Special Judge OP Saini that he had told the probe agency that then telecom minister A Raja's then private secretary RK Chandolia had asked him whether the application of Unitech group for spectrum licence had been received.
Srivastava gave his statement on being cross-examined by Raja's counsel and senior advocate Sushil Kumar.
Sushil Kumar quizzed Srivastava that why he had not earlier mentioned this fact in his statement given to CBI.
The lawyer said he was deposing falsely. Srivastava denied it and said that he had not recorded his statement under the probe agency's pressure. He replied that this fact was explained to th CBI when the investigating officer asked about it.
Raja concluded the cross-examination of the Srivastava. Former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura Behura would cross-examine the former official Wednesday.
According to the government auditor, Raja was biased while distributing second generation (2G) mobile airwaves and operating licences to telecom firms, causing a loss of up to Rs.1.76 lakh crore in revenue to the treasury.
Including Raja, 19 individuals and six companies were accused in two separate cases related to the allotment of 2G spectrum.
Published Date: Sep 11, 2012 09:33 pm | Updated Date: Sep 11, 2012 09:33 pm