Afzal Guru, convicted for masterminding the attack on India's parliament in 2001, was hanged in Tihar Jail in New Delhi Saturday morning after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee Feb 3. Here is a timeline of events after the attack:
* Dec 13, 2001: Five terrorists enter the parliament complex and open indiscriminate fire, killing nine people and injuring over 15.
* Dec 15, 2001: Delhi Police pick up Afzal Guru, a member of terrorist outfit Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM), from Jammu and Kashmir. S.A.R. Geelani of Delhi University's Zakir Hussain College picked up for questioning and later arrested. Two others - Afsan Guru and her husband Shaukat Hussain Guru - were picked up later.
* Dec 25, 2001: Under immense international pressure, the Pakistan government arrests JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar.
* Dec 29, 2001: Afzal Guru sent to 10 days' police remand.
* June 4, 2002: Charges are framed against four people - Afzal Guru, Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru, Afsan Guru and Geelani.
* Dec 18, 2002: Death sentence awarded to S.A.R. Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru, and Afzal Guru, while Afsan Guru was let off.
* Oct 29, 2003: Geelani acquitted in the case.
* Aug 4, 2005: The Supreme Court, while confirming the death sentence of Afzal Guru, commutes Shaukat Hussain Guru's death sentence to 10 years rigorous imprisonment.
* Sep 26, 2006: Delhi court orders Afzal to be hanged.
* Oct 3, 2006: Afzal Guru's wife Tabasum Guru files a mercy petition with then president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
* Jan 12, 2007: The Supreme Court dismisses Afzal Guru's plea seeking review of his death sentence, saying "there is no merit" in it.
* Dec 30, 2010: Shaukat Hussain Guru released from Delhi's Tihar Jail.
* Dec 10, 2012: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said he would examine Afzal Guru's file after parliament's winter session concludes Dec 22.
* Feb 3, 2013: President Pranab Mukherjeee rejected Afzal Guru's mercy plea.
* Feb 9, 2013: Afzal Guru hanged in New Delhi's Tihar jail at 8 a.m.
First Published On : Feb 9, 2013 22:45 IST