London, Nov 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Queens Park Rangers announced Saturday that Harry Redknapp would assume the vacant manager's position at the club after Mark Hughes' dismissal.
The English side had gone a record 12 games without a win under Hughes, who was fired Friday just 11 months into the job.
Redknapp, 65, had been mooted as a replacement for Ukraine coach Oleg Blokhin quit in September and ex−striker Andriy Shevchenko rejected an offer to take up the post.
But the former Portsmouth, West Ham and Tottenham Hotspur coach said the Royals' offer was too attractive to refuse.
"I'm delighted to be back in the managerial hot−seat at QPR," said Redknapp in comments to his new club's website.
"When I spoke to the shareholders and they told me about their plans I knew this was too good an opportunity to turn down.
"There's no doubt there's a lot of ability in the squad, but for one reason or another things haven't gone as well as everyone expected since the start of the season."
"I can't wait to get to work and get the results necessary to kick−start our season," Redknapp said.
QPR chairman Tony Fernandes said: "Harry was our No. 1 target, the unanimous choice of the board and we're delighted we've been able to attract him to the club.
"He has a proven track record in the Premier League and has all the characteristics we were looking for to get us out of the current situation we find ourselves in."
Redknapp, who has been out of management since January, when he left Spurs in acrimonious circumstances, is to watch QPR's encounter with Manchester United later Saturday from the stands at Loftus Road.
Published Date: Nov 24, 2012 20:45 PM | Updated Date: Nov 24, 2012 20:45 PM