Indian opener Rohit Sharma gave India's campaign Down Under a blistering start as he smashed his way to a record-breaking century in the first ODI vs Australia in Perth.
The right-handed batsman from Mumbai scored an unbeaten 171 off 163 balls as India piled up an imposing 309 for 3 against Australia.
The Mumbai batsman's innings was studded with 13 boundaries and seven huge sixes as he broke a plethora of records en route his ninth ODI hundred.
- This is Rohit's fourth hundred against Australia in 19 ODIs.
- Rohit Sharma became the first Indian batsman to score a century at WACA, Perth against Australia.
- This is the highest individual score against Australia in an ODI Down Under, breaking Sir Vivian Richards' 37-years-old record of 153.
- This is also the highest score by an Indian in Australia surpassing 141 by Sourav Ganguly vs Pakistan at Adelaide in January in 2000
- Rohit Sharma's 171* is also now the highest unbeaten ODI score in Australia surpassing AB de Villiers 162* vs West Indies at Sydney in 2015.
- Rohit and Virat Kohli (91) added 207 runs for the second wicket which is the highest second for India against Australia in the ODIs surpassing the previous best of 199 set by Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman in Indore back in 2001.
- Rohit's 171* is also the fifth-highest ODI score in Australia after Chris Gayle's 215 vs Zimbabwe, 178 by David Warner against Afghanistan, Mark Waugh's 173 v West Indies, 172 by Adam Gilchrist v Zimbabwe.
- Rohit also now has the most 170+ scores in ODIs tying with Sachin Tendulkar.
- He now holds the record for most ODI centuries in Australia by Indians with VVS Laxman with three tons.
With inputs from agencies and statistician Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman)