Australia Vs England Live Score (ODI)
Date: Friday, 19 January, 2018 17:05 IST Venue: Brisbane Cricket Ground (Woolloongabba), Brisbane Match Status: Match Ended
England beat Australia by 4 wickets
England 274/6 (44.2 ov) R/R 6.2 | Match Ended
- Joe Root 8,
- Chris Woakes 39
this over :
|Joe Root||not out||46||58||1||0|
|Chris Woakes||not out||39||27||5||1|
- That's it for today. England have made it look really easy just like they did in the last encounter. Australia, who have won just 1 ODI out of the last 8 played, will have to regroup and come up with a great performance to stay alive in the series. On the other hand, the visitors will not want to take the series till the very end and clinch the victory in the next game and bag the trophy. Join us for the third ODI on January 21, Sunday from the Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney at 1420 local (0320GMT ). Till then, goodbye and take care!
- Eoin Morgan says he thought his players were exceptional. Joe Root bowling the way he did was marvelous and such good bowling put pressure on Australia. Reckons the chase was a bit sticky, but they did enough to get the job done. Adds that such situations make things more exciting. Continues saying that they take every game in their stride and try to do their best. Ends by saying that they have a level of trust and confidence in each other that somebody will put their hand up and get the job done.
- Man of the Match, Joe Root says he didn't think he'd bowl 7 overs at the start of the day. States he enjoys getting wickets at the start of the innings, and seeing Steven Smith's back is always a pleasure. Mentions today's game as a great example, that as a One-Day group they have to prove themselves and push for the upcoming World Cup. On Mitchell Marsh getting reverse swing against him, says it's important to keep your composure and back yourself in any kind of situation.
- Steven Smith says after Aaron Finch's hundred they were in a good position but couldn't finish well in the death despite having wickets in hand. Mentions they lost a couple of wickets in a row with two new batsmen in the crease and that made things difficult. Adds somebody set had to stay in the middle but that didn't happen. On missing the experienced guys, he goes on to say that this is an opportunity for the new guys, Jhye Richardson in particular bowled really well. Will see how it goes in Sydney now. Feels the wicket didn't play the way they thought, bit different to the one they usually see. Ends by saying that they'll be treating the final three games as knockout games, so they'll try to play better cricket.
- The Men in Yellow did not play like a team in this match. They got on board a score which was around 60-80 runs short and needed their bowlers to come in strong to defend it down. They never really got in the game apart from the quick breakthroughs provided by Richardson and Starc. Wickets at regular intervals was the need of the hour but none of them really stepped up. The home side felt the absence of a regular spinner. Comparing the two, England bowled 24 overs of spin as compared to just the 10 bowled by the Australians. Smith tried everything he had up his sleeve but could not save his side from going 2-0 down in the series.
- What a win for the Englishmen. They chased down what looked to be a below par score without any trouble. Going into the run chase, they went on the back foot losing their in-form batsman Roy in the very first over. Bairstow and Hales steadied the ship by getting to their fifties and building a 117-run partnership. Morgan played a crucial knock in the middle and Root stayed unbeaten till the very end to play the anchoring role. England did find themselves in the spot of bother when they lost Buttler and Ali in quick succession, but Woakes applied the finishing touches with his Test captain and chased it down with ease.
- 44.2 FOUR! ENGLAND WIN BY 4 WICKETS! They clinch a superb victory and go 2-0 up in the series. Stoinis bowls it full on the stumps, Woakes lofts it over mid on for a boundary. Comfortably done, a dominating performance from the away side.
- 44.1 FOUR! What a shot by Woakes. He lofts it over the point region to earn himself another boundary.
- 43.6 Woakes lofts it over mid off and they come back for three runs. 266/6
- 43.5 Marsh drags it full down the leg side, Woakes misses the flick and it hits his pad.
- 43.4 Marsh hits the deck hard on the shorter side, Woakes defends it off the back foot.
- 43.3 Woakes defends it off the front foot.
- 43.2 Pulled to square leg for a single.
- 43.1 Root tries to flick it over the mid-wicket region but gets an inside edge onto his pads.
- Marsh comes into the attack.