The 546 Maruti Suzuki permanent workers who were sacked by the management following the violence at the Manesar plant in July remain hopeful of a government-led resolution to their demands for re-instatement.
"We are observing a dark Diwali this year. We took out a rally and submitted a memorandum with our demands to the Deputy Commissioner and the Industries Minister today. We are holding talks with the government. We will meet the Labour Minister on November 14 for further talks," said Iman Khan, member of the provisional committee nominated
by the jailed leadership of the Maruti Suzuki Workers Union. Khan said they had been assured by the government that their demands will be looked into.
The sacked workers held a two-day hunger strike and dharna last week (November 7-8) before the deputy commissioner's office in Gurgaon amid heavy security. It was the first public protest by the seven-member provisional committee and was supported by Trade Union Council that represents unions in the Gurgaon-Manesar belt, the All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) and Centre for Indian Trade Unions (CITU).
The sacked Maruti workers are demanding the release of the 149 jailed workers, a fresh inquiry into the violence and the re-instatement of the 546 who have been sacked.
In an earlier interview to Firstpost, Khan had rejected the report by the government-appointed SIT saying that they did not agree with its findings.
Violence that rocked the Manesar plant in July, left a senior company executive dead, 90-odd employees injured, the entire leadership of the Maruti Suzuki Workers Union in jail and more than 500-odd permanent workers fired.
First Published On : Nov 12, 2012 18:14 IST