Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia’s romance is legend, never mind the ups and downs the couple weathered in their time together. The undisputed king of romance, Rajesh Khanna died a married man – married to his wife, Dimple, who he’d married just as soon as he’d met the teenaged beauty. Here’s a list of lesser known things about the most talked about romance and subsequent wedding in film history:
1. Rajesh Khanna met the "soon-to-be-teen-sensation" on celluloid, 15-year-old Dimple Kapadia when she had just broken up with her boyfriend, the adorable Rishi Kapoor, also a teenager, who she was filming Raj Kapoor’s Bobby with at the time. Contrary to popular belief, Dimple did not leave Rishi Kapoor for Rajesh. She was single when the superstar met her and she was completely swept off her feet by his charm.
2. Rajesh Khanna married Dimple, 16 years his junior, at the zenith of his superstardom at her father, Chunnibhai Kapadia’s family bungalow in Juhu, Mumbai in March 1973.
3. The grand reception of the 70’s star and his sweetheart was held at Hotel Horizon in Juhu, Mumbai. It was overflowing with actors and stars and all things glitzy and was one big party.
4. Since Dimple filmed a large part of Bobby after she married Rajesh Khanna in March 1973, the couple had to defer their honeymoon to June.
5. The glamorous couple went to Europe for their honeymoon, but not alone. They were accompanied by his close friends, film producer Raj Bathija and wife Nirmal, and Baldev Pathak, father of actresses Ratna and Supriya Pathak, who are married to actors Naseeruddin Shah and Pankaj Kapur respectively.
6. Whilst on their honeymoon, Rajesh Khanna threw a big party for Dimple at the Hilton hotel in London on 8 June to celebrate her 16th birthday. The same year Amitabh Bachchan had wed Jaya Bhaduri and they were on their honeymoon in London at the same time. Rajesh invited them to Dimple’s birthday. The Bachchans were the only film stars present aside from Rajesh and Dimple at the non-filmi party.
7. Whilst Dimple was filming Bobby after she married Rajesh, the mehndi on her newly-wed hands had to be hidden during the shooting schedule of a key song in the film.
8. Rajesh and his elder daughter, Twinkle Khanna, who is married to Akshay Kumar, share the same birth date, 29 December and shared a close relationship.
9. Rajesh Khanna used to address Dimple as Dimpy and she called him Kaka.
10. The superstar, whose real name was Jatin Khanna, died a married man as he never legally separated from his wife, Dimple.
First Published On : Jul 18, 2012 22:35 IST