Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone’s next film together, Cocktail that releases this Friday, is one of the most anticipated releases of 2012. Saif and Deepika have done Love Aaj Kal (2009) and Aarakshan (2011) together and Cocktail is their third film. Given their lucky streak at the box office in the past, Cocktail might well be the biggest hit if “third time lucky” plays out at the box office and it has every reason to be, given the songs and teasers have gone down extremely well with the audience so far.
While everyone’s talking about the film and the songs (Daru Desi, Tumhi Ho Badhu) and the new girl, Diana Penty who makes her debut in the film, let’s talk about the man behind the action, the film’s director, Homi Adajania.
Here are ten things you possibly did not know about Homi Adajania:
1. Homi Adajania woke up one day and wrote the script of his first film in 2004, Being Cyrus, a dark comedy in English, which went on to be produced by Ambika Hinduja and Dinesh Vijan. It starred Saif Ali Khan, Dimple Kapadia, Boman Irani and Naseeruddin Shah – all stellar actors in lead roles. And that was his very first film!
2. Being Cyrus was shot entirely in Homi’s bungalow in Panchgani, spread over two acres of land.
3. Homi later sold the same bungalow to Aamir Khan in 2005. Aamir and Kiran even got married in the very same house in December 2005. Interestingly, this is also the same place where Aamir blogged about a dog nicknamed Shah Rukh that licked his feet in 2008 which made headlines for months.
4. Cocktail is Homi’s second film as director and stars Saif Ali Khan in the lead once again seven years after his debut film, Being Cyrus (2005).
5. He has managed to cast Dimple Kapadia, an elusive actor, known only to work in a few, select films in recent years in the off beat Being Cyrus as well as the more mainstream Cocktail that releases 13 July.
6. He is married to Anaita Shoff-Adajania, Fashion Director at Vogue India, who has been styling actors in films for the past decade. Anaita has styled some of the biggest films in Bollywood and some of her next releases are Cocktail of course, Race 2, Krissh 3 and Dhoom 3.
7. Homi’s been married to Anaita for ten years now and they are proud parents of two little boys – four-year-old Zreh and Zane, who was born in June 2012.
8. Before Homi turned director, in his wife Anaita’s words, “Homi chilled, travelled, dived and spent time with the family.”
9. Homi is a winger for the Bombay Gymkhana rugby team in Mumbai, which in simple terms means he runs really fast and is a strong player.
10. Homi is a certified CMAS (Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques) dive instructor, and used to teach in the Lakshwadeep islands, but not anymore.