Hrithik Roshan who celebrates his 42nd birthday on 10 January has come a long from his Bhagwan Dada days when he stood his ground with Rajinikanth and Sridevi as a child actor. But one feels he has not gone far enough. Here are ten reasons why he needs to... well, just unwind.
1. Mera Naam Karega Roshan: Too many films with Papa Rakesh Roshan. From the time they worked together in Kaho Na…Pyar Hai to their latest film together Krrish 3 , the Roshans have together covered the entire spectrum of movie experiences.The director-star Papa-Beta pair have done it all. We want to see Rakesh Roshan make a blockbuster with another hero.
2. 2015 was a considerably bad year : Considering his impressive range as an actor, Hrithik’s body of work is hardly exemplary. He started in 2000 with his Dad’s Kaho Na…Pyar Hai where his double role wowed audiences. In 2015 he had Bang Bang whch was more a whimper-whimper. Really , Hrithik. Who advises you on which scripts to choose?
3. More memorable roles, please! : Apart from Ashutosh Gowariker’s Jodhaa-Akbar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Guzaarish which outstanding films has Hrithik been part of?
4. Too much of the intense factor in every role: Hrithik needs to stop treating every shot as a matter of life and death. Sometimes an actor just needs to let go, to chill and not put a 100 percent of himself in every frame. Mala Sinha in times past and Priyanka Chopra now do the same. They intensify their screen presence beyond the prescribed amount. You need to do fun films, the kind your Nanaji J Om Prakash used to make. In fact you had more fun doing child roles in your Nanaji’s films (Bhagwan Dada, Aap Ke Deewane, Aas Paas, Aasha) than you have had with your adult roles.
5. Hrithik needs to do more work: One film every two years is an average that only Dilip Kumar could afford. In 15 years Hrithik has only done 20 films. In comparison the other A-list superstars of Hrithik’s generation have done twice and three times more work. And please don’t tell me, Hrithik, that you believe in quality. Akshay Kumar does three films per year and still finds time for Baby and Special Chabbis.
6. Please hire a script consultant: What Hrithik thinks are brilliant script ideas more often than not turn out to be duds. He raved about Anurag Basu’s Kites (he also raved about its leading lady Barbara Mori, but we shall let that be). He raved about Sooraj Barjatya’s Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon. The two were their respective directors’ biggest failures.
7. Swami Hrithikanand: Must every tweet, and every quote from Hrithik sound like homilies from the Sanskar channel? Why can’t Hrithik just speak from his heart instead of applying his brain? He needs to stop thinking the world rests on his sturdy shoulders.
8. Wanted better heroines for Hrithik: Hrithik is in serious need of more variety among his co-stars. We want to see him paired with Deepika Padukone, Anushka Sharma and Alia Bhatt. His next release Mohenjo Daro features him with a newcomer Pooja Hegde. We hope she is better than Barbara Mori.
9. Duggu Da Director: You assisted your dad in four of his films before taking to full-time, full-on, hero-giri . I am sure there is a brilliant director inside you. A suggestion, re-make your father’s Karan Arjun. Cast Ranbir and Ranveer in the two roles. You just stay behind the camera.
10. More Bonding Please: Hrithik has too many solo-hero projects because he believes--and rightly so-- that his films don't need another leading man. But look at how much fun Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara was. Do more films with your colleagues. It will help you uniwnd on screen.