Om Puri faces police complaint for comment on soldiers: 'We haven’t forced them to join the army' - Firstpost
Powered By:
In Association With:

Om Puri faces police complaint for comment on soldiers: 'We haven’t forced them to join the army'

A police complaint has been filed against veteran actor Om Puri for his comments that were found to be insulting to Indian soldiers by a section of the film industry.

Complainant Prithvi Maske mentioned in the complaint, "Referring to the Indian Army and soldiers, he (Om Puri) said that we had not given the invitation to the soldiers of the Indian Army. They joined the army at their will."

The complaint has been filed at the Andheri police station in Mumbai.

During a debate on IBN7, Om Puri said on Monday, "Did we force them to join the army? My father was also in the army... We are proud of them (soldiers)... I am asking you: Do you want India and Pakistan to become Israel and Palestine?

"I don't give a damn to Salman Khan or some other Khan... Go to Modiji (Prime Minister Narendra Modi) and cancel their (Pakistani actors') visas. Prepare 15-20 people as suicide bombers and send them to Pakistan."

The actor faced flak on social media for these comments and within minutes #OmPuri started trending on Twitter. Celebrities including filmmaker Ashoke Pandit and veteran actor Anupam Kher came out against Om Puri after his comments on the channel.

Dear #OmPuri ji. Mai aapki bahut izzat karta hoon. Lekin kal tv per desh ke sainik ke baare mein aapki baat sunkar bahut DUKH hua. #VerySad

— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) October 4, 2016

The veteran actor had earlier come out in support of the Pakistani actors, saying art and politics should be kept separate and banning the artistes will not change the situation.

Om Puri. Image courtesy: Ibn Live

Om Puri. Image courtesy: Ibn Live

Puri said Pakistani artistes are not working illegally here and if they are sent back, Indian producers, who have signed them for their films, will suffer heavy losses.

"When the government is taking an action, we all should stay quiet. It hardly matters if we send back the artists from Pakistan, who are working here, or let them stay. I have been to Pakistan six times and have met people from all strata," the 65-year-old actor said here.

"I have always received love and warmth. If the Pakistani actors leave the projects they are doing here in middle, then people in India (filmmakers) will also face financial loss. Hence, this is insignificant. The actors have not come here through any illegal way. They have valid visa. But, if the government will ask them to leave, then it is different," he said.

The remark came days after superstar Salman Khan opposed the ban on Pakistani actors, saying they are artistes not terrorists.

The film industry has been divided on the issue of banning Pakistani artistes in the wake of Uri attack. Actors Randeep Hooda, Anupam Kher, filmmakers Ashoke Pandit, Madhur Bhandarkar are among those who have backed the ban.

The debate began after Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) demanded the ouster of the artistes from the neighbouring country.

Recently, the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association also announced ban on the actors and technicians from the neighbouring country till things don't get normal between the two nations.

Watch what transpired on the show here:

With inputs from PTI

Comment using Disqus

Show Comments