Mumbai: Mumbai Police has downgraded security cover for superstars Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan and scrapped it for some others following an audit on threat perceptions, an official said on Friday.
Described as "routine", the annual review of threat perceptions has concluded that some film celebrities did not warrant the kind of security cover accorded to them.
Accordingly, Shah Rukh and Aamir Khan will now be entitled to two armed constables in two shifts, reduced from the earlier round-the-clock security by four armed constables and an escort vehicle.
The two had been provided 24x7 security after controversies following their comments on "intolerance" and increased threat perceptions to their lives, the official said.
Until now, police provided security to around 40 personalities including director Rajkumar Hirani, Farah Khan, Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Ali Morani and Karim Morani. These have been totally withdrawn.
Besides the two Khans, security cover will continue for singer Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar, actors Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Akshay Kumar, directors Mahesh Bhatt and his brother Mukesh Bhatt and a few others.