Every cricket lover's delight. And whether you like it or hate you can’t escape the IPL fever.
The game is designed with absolute intoxication. If your city does not ignite passion and interest, your favourite players will, especially when they play against each other. If you need more reasons to watch, throw in some of India’s biggest bollywood celebrities and a few eccentric business men and you're all set to get bedazzled by the IPL.
And of course, the average Indian man has few other forms of entertainment post 8 pm. Besides. it’s also a great excuse for married men to plan a boys’ night out and drinking sessions all in the name of cricket.
Here's what will keep me hooked to the IPL this season:
- Ricky Ponting captaining Sachin Tendulkar and Harbhajan Singh. If you need me to say any more on this you shouldn’t be watching IPL. And Mumbai Indians are my top pick to win this year.
- Less commercial intrusion please – not every catch is a kamaal catch or every boundary a Bow Chicka wow wow moment. It would be good to see some judicious calls and let the commentators choose to decide when to use these euphemisms and not be brand mouth pieces.
- Chris Gayle. RCB have been very reliant on him and AB De Villiers and would love to see them deliver again.
- Emerging talent. Every IPL has thrown up superstars and it will be great to see who the next one is.
- Last hooray. This IPL may see players walk into the sunset. Could it be Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Jacques Kallis or Michael Hussey?
- Yuvraj Singh. Was desperately looking forward to him captaining this year. and was hoping to find out if this would be his crowning moment. Personally for me, while he has been an impact player, I wanted to see him finally emerge out of the shadows and take charge of Pune Warriors. Individual glory and achievements are great but I want to see if he could inspire his team to greatness. Expect fireworks and issues if he was forced to play under Angelo Mathews.
- Sunrisers' uniform. We have red, yellow, orange, purple – what ghastly colour will this team go in for? Oh and will politics decide their captain’s fate or will money overrule. Will it be father or son?
- The defending champions. A good mix of talent and experience makes the KKR team, but can they do it again? After Mumbai Indians, I'd bet on them to win.